What is a Community Foundation?
Community foundations are grantmaking public charities that are dedicated to improving the lives of people in a defined local geographic area. They bring together the financial resources of individuals, families, and businesses to support effective nonprofits in their communities. Community foundations play a key role in identifying and solving community problems.
More than 900 community foundations operate in urban and rural areas in every state in the United States; In 2017, they gave an estimated $5.48 billion to a variety of nonprofit activities in fields that included the arts and education, health and human services, the environment, and disaster relief. (Council on Foundations)
Community Foundations are knowledgeable about the issues, solutions and resources in the community; they are flexible to support the greatest needs in communities or serve in times of disaster, and they are efficient in establishing partnerships and maximizing resources.
Adapted from the Council on Foundations
How a Community Foundation Differs From a Private Foundation
As a public charity, a community foundation offers numerous advantages over private foundations and is defined by several unique attributes:
- Public Charity: Accessible to all who wish to contribute
- Tax Advantaged: Donations are tax-deductible up to the amount allowed by IRS rules*
- Geographically Defined: Serves a specific geographical community
- Local Support: Donations come from community citizens
- Community Driven: Supports the betterment of the community through grant-making
- Grant-making: Supports operations, development and innovative solutions that enhance the quality of life in the community
- Board of Community Leaders: Local governing board with expertise in charitable giving
- Financially Sound: Fund structure designed to be sustainable into perpetuity
*Consult your tax advisor for your individual tax advantage.
Keeping Your Gift Local
You have the opportunity to make a lasting impact in your community. Pinellas Community Foundation (PCF) supports more than 100 local charities. There are multiple opportunities for giving, all so you can ensure your charitable aspirations are realized.
Providing an Anchor of Support
PCF is a steady beacon of hope for those in need, providing reliable grants to nonprofit social services, educational and cultural agencies. Since its founding in 1969, more than $100 million in grants has been awarded to deserving Pinellas-based charities.
PCF remains steadfast in bridging the widening economic gap to ensure nonprofit organizations serving our most vulnerable residents can continue their work to build a brighter future for every Pinellas County resident.