What is a Community Foundation?
How a Community Foundation Differs From a Private Foundation
As a public charity, a community foundation offers numerous advantages over private foundations and is defined by several unique attributes:
- Public Charity: Accessible to all who wish to contribute
- Tax Advantaged: Donations are tax-deductible up to the amount allowed by IRS rules*
- Geographically Defined: Serves a specific geographical community
- Local Support: Donations come from community citizens
- Community Driven: Supports the betterment of the community through grant-making
- Grant-making: Supports operations, development and innovative solutions that enhance the quality of life in the community
- Board of Community Leaders: Local governing board with expertise in charitable giving
- Financially Sound: Fund structure designed to be sustainable into perpetuity
*Consult your tax advisor for your individual tax advantage.
Keeping Your Gift Local
You have the opportunity to make a lasting investment in your community. When you give to the Pinellas Community Foundation (PCF), you can still support your favorite charities. Rather than making a one-time gift to a charity, your donation is carefully invested to ensure the charity or causes you care about most receive continuous annual contributions.
Providing an Anchor of Support
The Pinellas Community Foundation is a steady beacon of hope for those in need, providing reliable annual grants to nonprofit social services, educational and cultural agencies. Since its founding in 1969, more than $42 million in grants has been awarded to deserving Pinellas-based charities.
PCF remains steadfast in bridging the widening economic gap to ensure nonprofit organizations serving our most vulnerable residents can continue their work to build a brighter future for every Pinellas County resident.